Becoming a Certified Ethical Hacker, Day 1
OK…I cheated. I started early on CEH by reading a little and skimming some videos, but my 416-hour goal stands.
Current progress: 0 of 416 hours.
What should I do first?
Every goal has to start with a plan right? I explained in my first post of this series that the goal is to Earn the Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) certification. I also explained why I think it is important. In the second post of this series, I detailed the tools that I think will contribute to success in becoming a Certified Ethical Hacker. Now I have to get a strategy together to actually work through this material in some orderly way. Detours are fine but, without a plan, I’ll waste a lot of time just trying to decide what to do next.
This is my typical 5-step approach.
- Run through all the material quickly via video training to get a broad understanding of the entire scope of the course.
- Edit: I am going deep with the videos rather than moving quickly this time to get the maximum hands-on experience.
- Read a book cover-to-cover while taking notes and practicing in the lab.
- Detour and repeat as needed to get comfortable.
- Take practice tests and focus on memorization.
- Earn CEH! Take & pass the exam and become a Certified Ethical Hacker.
That’s it. Time to stop posting and get to work!
Are you working on CEH with me? I would love to hear about it in the comments below.